Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 has been crafted to power connected lighting using Z-Wave Plus. It is powered by Aeotec’s Gen5 technology. You can find out more about Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 by following that link.
To see whether Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 is known to be compatible with your Z-Wave system or not, please reference our Z-Wave gateway comparison listing. The technical specifications of Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 can be viewed at that link.
Get To Know your Recessed Door Sensor Gen5
Your Recessed Door Sensor is comprised of two parts: the Main Sensor and the Magnetic Sensor.
- Main Sensor
- Magnetic Sensor
Important safety information.
Please read this and other device guides carefully. Failure to follow the recommendations set forth by Aeotec Limited may be dangerous or cause a violation of the law. The manufacturer, importer, distributor, and / or reseller will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from not following any instructions in this guide or in other materials.
Keep product and batteries away from open flames and extreme heat. Avoid direct sun light or heat exposure. Always remove all batteries from products that are being stored and not used. Batteries may damage the appliance if they leak. Do not use rechargeable batteries. Ensure correct polarity when inserting the batteries. Improper battery use may damage the product.
Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 is intended for indoor use in dry locations only. Do not use in damp, moist, and / or wet locations.
Contains small parts; keep away from children.
The installation of your Recessed Door Sensor has two key steps:
1. Install both parts of your sensor.
2. Connect your sensor to your Z-Wave network
Prepare the Main Sensor.
1. Using a slot-head screw driver, remove the Main Sensor's lid by pressing gently against its exposed connector.
2. Separate the Main Sensor's two sections by first removing its lid and then removing its internal components. (It is recommended that when pulling out the hardware from the plastic casing, pinch 2 sides parallel to the hardware to relieve pressure when pulling the hardware out, it should make it far easier to remove the hardware or place it back in).
3. Remove the clear battery insulator by pulling it away from Main Sensor.
4. With the battery insulator removed, reinsert the internal components into Main Sensor's enclosure before reattaching its lid. Ensure that Main Sensor's button aligns with the button hole of its lid. Main Sensor will now look as it did prior to step 1.
Install your Recessed Door Sensor.
With Main Sensor powered and activated, it is now time to inlay it within your selected door frame.Before beginning, it is important to select a suitable position for your Recessed Door Sensor. For optimal performance, your sensor should be:
1. Either installed at the top of a door or the side of a door.
2. Positioned away from metal that could interfere with its magnetic functionality. This includes your door's plate, handle or lock mechanism.
3. Installed in a suitable location to ensure a clear (between 1mm and 5mm) separation when the door is closed.
4. Positioned exactly above or beside the position in which Magnetic Sensor will be inlayed.
The rectangular areas highlighted above are optimal installation positions.
Prepare the space for Main Sensor by drilling a hole into your doorframe using a 20mm wide drill bit (you can use a slightly larger drillbit if needed). The hole should be 65mm deep.
Although 19mm is stated for the drill bit size, it is advised that the drill bit should be larger to allow you to easily remove the Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 later.
Recommended drill bit size should be: 20 - 21mm in size.
Drill a corresponding hole in your door. The hole should be 15mm deep. As stated, the position of this hole should align exactly with the hole you just created in the doorframe. Again, use a 19mm wide drill bit.
Unlike the main unit, 19mm drill bit should be used.
With your door and door frame prepared and the drill holes created, it's now time to mount both parts of your Recessed Door Sensor.
Insert Main Sensor into the hole you created in the door frame then secure it using two screws.
Place a small amount of white glue (PVA) inside the hole you created for Magnetic Sensor. Then, place the sensor over and into the hole. Next, insert it by tapping gently on it with a rubber hammer.
The gap between the two parts of your sensor must be no less than 1mm and no more than 5mm. If your gap is different, re-affix Main Sensor by altering its hole.
Add your sensor to your Z-Wave network.
With your Recessed Door Sensor installed within a door and its frame, it's time to add it to your Z-Wave network.
1. Place your gateway or controller into Z-Wave pair or inclusion mode. (Please refer to your controller/gateway manual on how to do this)
2. Press the Action Button on your Sensor.
3. If your Sensor has been successfully linked to your network, its LED will become solid for 2 seconds then disappear. If linking was unsuccessful, the LED will continue to blink if you tap its button.
Remove your sensor from your Z-Wave network
Your Recessed Door Sensor can be removed from your Z-Wave network at any time. You'll need to use your Z-Wave network's main controller to do this.
1. Place your gateway or controller into Z-Wave unpair or exclusion mode. (Please refer to your controller/gateway manual on how to do this)
2. Press the Action Button on your Sensor.
3. If your switch has been successfully unlinked to your network, its LED will begin to blink for a short time. If linking was unsuccessful, the LED will return to its last state. Tap the button to confirm if it has been unpaired, if unpaired successfully, the LED will blink when tapped.
Reset your sensor
At some stage, you may wish to reset all of your Recessed Door Sensor's settings to their factory defaults.
- To do this, press and hold the Action Button for 20 seconds and then release it. Your sensor will now be reset to its original settings
Troubleshooting Recessed Door Sensor.
If in any case you are having trouble getting the status of your Recessed Door Sensor Gen5, or are seeing some communication issues, please refer to the troubleshooting page here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/solution/articles/6000157091-recessed-door-sensor-gen5-troubleshooting-
More Advanced Configurations.
Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 has a longer list of device configurations that you can do with Recessed Door Sensor Gen5. These are not exposed well in most gateways, but at the least you can manually set configurations through most Z-Wave gateways available. These configuration options may not be available in a few gateways.
You can find the configuration sheet here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6052990311
If you have any questions on how to set these, please contact support and let them know what gateway you are using.