Please note that the S2 in the name Z-Stick S2 represents the fact that it was the 2nd edition of Z-Stick. It does not represent compatibility with Z-Wave S2 / Security 2.
Step 1: Install Necessary Drivers
You may find the drivers for the Z-Stick S2 here, you must install them in order for your PC to show the device as a COM port: https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers
Step 2: Determine the COM port of the Z-Stick (Z-Stick must be plugged in)
The COM port of the Z-Stick can be found under "device manager" in Windows (Control Panel/Device Manager). To find the COM port for Linux and Mac is a bit different, and i you need help with this I can find out for you on how to do so.
You need to know the COM port for the connection between the Z-Stick and Software you have chosen.
Step 3: Choose your Software
You will now need to choose the software that you want to use, I will list them out and you can determine which one you will want to use for your home automation control.
Software with trial use
1. Homeseer (1 Month Trial) http://www.homeseer.com/
2. InControl (Control up to 10 devices for free) http://www.incontrolzwave.com/
3. Indigo (Mac Software, I believe there is a trail, but I am not 100% sure) https://www.indigodomo.com/devices/
1. LinuxMCE http://linuxmce.com/
2. zVirtualScenes http://aarondrabeck.github.io/zVirtualScenes/
4. HomeGenie http://www.homegenie.it/
5. Domotiga https://www.domotiga.nl/
6. Domoticz https://domoticz.com/
7. OpenHAB http://www.openhab.org/
8. Jeedom https://jeedom.fr/site/en/index.html
Step 4: Connect your Z-Stick to the Software you have chosen
How you do so will be a different experience for each software, some are easier, and some take a little more time to figure out. Each software generally will have steps on how to do so.
Step 5: Add Devices to the Z-Stick Z-Wave network
If you have a Z-Stick Gen5 or S2, you can use the button to add or remove devices from your network. But you can also use software to include and exclude as well.
Step 6: Get to know Z-Wave common knowledge, and things to look up
1. Changing Z-Wave Parameter Settings (Advanced)
2. Setting Events/Scenes/Triggers to trigger devices in your network
3. Complications of Z-Wave Battery Sensors
4. Z-Wave Product Compatibility to Software
5. Possible Scripting in the Software that you are using