Aeotec Door Window Sensor Gen5
Aeotec Door Window Sensor Gen5 was developed to record the status of windows and doors and transmit it via Z-Wave Plus. It is powered by Aeotec’s Gen5 technology. You can find out more about Door Window Sensor Gen5 by following that link.
To see whether Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 is known to be compatible with your Z-Wave system or not, please reference our Z-Wave gateway comparison listing. The technical specifications of Door Window Sensor Gen5 can be viewed at that link.
Familiarize yourself with your Door Window Sensor
- Sensor Unit.
- Bidirectional Mount Plate.
- Magnetic Unit.
- Magnetic Unit Outer Shell.
- AAA Batteries (x2)
- Double-Sided Mounting Tape (x6)
- Screws (x4)
Important safety information.
Please read this and other device guides carefully. Failure to follow the recommendations set forth by Aeotec Limited may be dangerous or cause a violation of the law. The manufacturer, importer, distributor, and / or reseller will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from not following any instructions in this guide or in other materials.
Keep product and batteries away from open flames and extreme heat. Avoid direct sun light or heat exposure. Always remove all batteries from products that are being stored and not used. Batteries may damage the appliance if they leak. Do not use rechargeable batteries. Ensure correct polarity when inserting the batteries. Improper battery use may damage the product.
Door / Window Sensor Gen5 is intended for indoor use in dry locations only. Do not use in damp, moist, and / or wet locations.
Contains small parts; keep away from children.
The installation of your Door Window Sensor has two major steps: the Main Sensor and the Magnet. Your Door Window Sensor will use wireless technology to talk to your Z-Wave network once paired to your Z-Wave network. Selecting where you'll place your Door/Window Sensor in your home is just as important as the actual affixing it to the surface. Whether it’s for security or intelligence purposes, your sensor: With your mounting plates prepared to hold each component of your sensor, it’s time to add it to your Z-Wave network. With your sensor added to your Z-Wave network, it's now time to insert each main part of your sensor into the corresponding sensor plate.
- Should be affixed indoors and away from sources of moisture.
- Placed within 30 meters of another Z-Wave device that is either a gateway or not powered by batteries.
- The magnet and the main sensor must be less than 2cm apart. Main sensor must be affixed to the door or window and the magnet must be affixed to the frame. The magnet and the main sensor must separate when the door or window is opened.
- Should not be mounted on a metal frame.
- Let your Z-Wave primary controller/gateway enter into adding/inclusion mode.
- Take your Sensor near to your primary controller.
- Press the Action Button once on your Sensor.
- If your Door Window Sensor has been successfully added to your Z-Wave network, its Status LED will fast blink for 2 seconds and then be solid for 2 seconds when you press the Action Button again. If the adding was unsuccessful and the Status LED continues to fast blink for 8 seconds and then slow blink for 3 seconds, repeat the above steps.
You should test your sensor before installing it into place to confirm if the unit is working properly after you have added it to your network:
- Take the Sensor and the Magnet unit in separate hands.
- Move the Magnet Unit to your Sensor and place the dots next to each other.
- You should hear a small clicking sound and the LED on the Sensor unit will quickly blink, this will indicate that the sensor has detected a change in state and has reported the change to your gateway or controller.
- Now move the Magnet Unit away from your Sensor
- Just like step 3, you will hear a small clicking sound and the LED will quickly blink, and then send a message to your controller/gateway at the same time.
- Insert the larger of your two sensor parts into the large mounting plate ensuring that the dimple on the front is on the same side as the smaller mounting plate.
- lnsert the smaller of your two sensor parts into its mounting plate.
- Remove your Sensor unit from its Back Mounting Plate, press the Action Button on the back of the Sensor unit and then release the Action Button. This will trigger and send a wake up notification command to your controller/gateway.
- If you want your Sensor to keep awake for a longer time, press and hold the Action Button on the back of the Sensor unit for 3 seconds, then your Sensor will wake up for 10 minutes and the Status LED will fast blink while it is awake.
- Put your primary controller into device removal mode.
- Unlock your Sensor from the Back Mount plate and take the Sensor unit near to your primary controller.
- Press the Action Button on your Sensor.
- If your Door Window Sensor has been successfully removed from your Z-Wave network, its Status LED will fast blink for 8 seconds and then slow blink for 3 seconds when you press the Action Button again. If the removing was unsuccessful, the Status LED will fast blink for 2 seconds and then be solid for 2 seconds when you press the Action Button, repeat the above steps.
- press the Sensor’s Action Button 2 times within 1 second when your security controller/gateway starts the network inclusion.
- Press and hold the Action Button for 20 seconds and Status LED will be solid for 2 seconds to confirm a success.
More Advanced Configurations.
Door Window Sensor Gen5 has a longer list of device configurations that you can do with Door Window Sensor Gen5. These are not exposed well in most gateways, but at the least you can manually set configurations through most Z-Wave gateways available. These configuration options may not be available in a few gateways.
You can find the configuration sheet here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6102435048
If you have any questions on how to set these, please contact support and let them know what gateway you are using.