To get the most out of Aeotec Button with SmartThings, it's recommended that a custom device handler is used. Custom device handlers are code that allow the SmartThings Hub to maximize features of attached Z-Wave devices, including Doorbell 6 or Siren 6 with Button.
This page forms part of the larger Button user guide. Follow that link to read the full guide.
Aeotec Button use requires either the pairing of Siren 6 or Doorbell 6 in order to be used.
Doorbell 6 Community page.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-aeotec-doorbell-6/165030 (by krlaframboise)
Steps of Installing Device Handler:
- Login to Web IDE and click on the "My Device Types" link on the top menu (login here: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/)
- Click on "Locations"
- Select your SmartThings Home Automation gateway that you want to put the device handler in
- Select tab "My Device Handlers"
- Create a new Device Handler by clicking on "New Device Handler" button in the upper-right corner.
- Click on "From Code."
- Copy krlaframboise code from Github, and paste it into the code section. (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/aeotec-doorbell-6-button.src/aeotec-doorbell-6-button.groovy)
- Click on the raw code page and select all by pressing (CTRL + a)
- Now copy everything highlighted by pressing (CTRL + c)
- Click on the SmartThings code page and paste all code (CTRL + v)
- Click on "Save", then wait for the spinning wheel to disappear before continuing.
- Click on "Publish" -> "Publish for me"
- (Optional) You can skip steps 17 - 22 if you pair Doorbell 6 after installing the custom device handler. Doorbell 6 should automatically pair with the new added device handler. If already paired, please continue forward to the following steps.
- Install it on your Doorbell 6 by going to "My Devices" page in the IDE
- Find your Doorbell 6.
- Go to the bottom of the page for the current Doorbell 6 and click on "Edit."
- Find the "Type" field and select your device handler. (should be located at the bottom of the list as Aeotec Doorbell 6).
- Click on "Update"
- Save Changes
Aeotec Button screenshots.
Configure Aeotec Button.
Configuration of Doorbell/Siren 6 and Button require you to configure them through "SmartThings Classic." SmartThings Connect will not allow you to configure your sounds and volume that Doorbell/Siren 6 utilizes. To configure your Doorbell/Siren 6 Button:
- Open up SmartThings Classic (Connect will not allow you to configure).
- Go to "My Home"
- Open up Doorbell 6 - Button # (can be a # from 1 - 3) by tapping on it
- At the top right corner, click on the "Gear" Icon
- This will bring you to the configuration page which you will need to tap each option you want to configure.
- Sound - Sets the sound played by selected Aeotec Button.
- Volume - Sets the volume of the sound.
- Light Effect - Sets the light effect of Siren 6 or Doorbell 6 when triggered by button.
- Repeat - Determines how many times the selected sound repeats.
- Repeat Delay - Determines the delay time between each sound repeat.
- Tone Intercept Length - Allows you to choose how long a single sound plays for.
- Now click on "Save" at the top right corner
- Go to the main page of Doorbell - Button #, and click on "Refresh" button.
- Go back to the "My Home" page that displays all of your devices
- Open up "Doorbell 6" page
- The Sync Notification should state "Syncing..." wait until it states "Synced"
- Now test the Button again for any sound changes you've done to that button.