This solution determines various troubleshooting methods to resolve your Aeotec Smart Home Hub connection to SmartThings Connect. It forms part of a broader guide on managing and using Smart Home Hub which can be found here.
What do the LEDs on Aeotec Smart Home Hub mean?
|LED Color||LED activity description||Function detail|
|Alternating Green and Red||Hub is ready to be claimed (with or without internet)|
|Solid Blue||Hub is claimed and connected to network, but no internet|
|Blinking Blue||There is no Ethernet or WiFi connection|
|Blinking Magenta||Downloading update|
|Solid Magenta||Applying update|
|Solid Green||Hub is connected|
|Blinking Green||Hub is in pair mode (searching for device)|
|Fast Blinking Green||Hub is in Z-Wave exclusion mode|
|Blinking Yellow/Amber||Factory Reset in process|
|Solid Yellow/Amber||Factory Reset process complete|
| ||Blinking Red||Issue occurred during bootup. Try an extended power cycle to resolve this issue. (wait a minimum of 30 seconds before powering up the hub.)|
|Solid Red||Hardware issue. Power cycle the hub (attempt this a few times), if issue does not get resolved, contact support.|
How can I reboot my Aeotec Smart Home Hub?
To reboot your SmartThings hub, you can use 1 of 2 different methods:
- Press and hold the recessed Reset button located on the back of the hub for 7 seconds (Release when the LED turns off)
- Unplug the Hub and then plug it back in again.
How to reset Aeotec Smart Home Hub to factory default
If you find the need to factory reset your Aeotec Smart Home Hub completely, you can follow these steps.
- Disconnect power from your Aeotec Smart Home Hub
- Press and hold the recessed reset button in the back of your hub.
- While holding down the reset button, power up your Aeotec Smart Home Hub.
- Continue to hold down the reset button until the LED turns solid yellow (about 30 seconds after power). The LED should be flashing yellow during this time.
- Release the reset button when LED lights up solid yellow for at least 3 seconds.
Hub not found
If the hub is not found during initial setup, there are 5 different troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this.
- Ensure that your Aeotec Smart Home Hub LED is blinking Green and Red.
- If using Ethernet
- Make sure Ethernet cord is completely pushed into your Aeotec Smart Home Hub and Router.
- Try a different Ethernet cord.
- Try a different Ethernet port on your Router.
- If using WiFi
- Make sure the WiFi password is correct.
- Try another area in your home that has stronger WiFi connection.
- Try using Ethernet connection to rule out WiFi connectivity issues.
- Move your Smartphone closer to your Aeotec Smart Home Hub.
- Temporarily disable cellular data on your cell phone for setup.
Connection failed / hub offline during setup
If you find that your hub has issues during setup, there are 3 possibilities here that can cause the connection to fail, and their solutions:
- Hub loses power during setup:
- Ensure that the power cable is secure and fully plugged in.
- Try a separate outlet to rule out the possibility that the outlet it is currently connected to has issues.
- Try again when the hub is powered, and the LED is blinking red and green.
- Hub loses WiFi during setup:
- Ensure the hub is within range of your WiFi router.
- Ensure the WiFi router is powered.
- Reboot your Router.
- Try Ethernet if WiFi continues to fail.
- Hub loses Ethernet connection during setup:
- Ensure the Ethernet cable is securely plugged into both the hub and router.
- Try a new/different Ethernet cable.
- Reboot your router, modem, and hub.
- Try WiFi if Ethernet continues to fail.
Your hub is offline (Solid or Blinking blue LED)
If you find that your hub went offline and stopped responding (with the LED indicator as a solid or blinking blue color), follow these troubleshooting steps:
- Power cycle your Aeotec Smart Home Hub
- Ensure that WiFi or Ethernet cable is connected and working
- Reboot your router and modem
- Confirm port 433 is opened on your WiFi router
- Ensure that the WiFi router does not have any special network settings that might restrict the hub.
If you encounter registration fail when connecting your hub to SmartThings Connect, you can follow one of two possible solutions:
- Tap Retry
- If Retry continues to fail, force close SmartThings Connect app, and start the process of registration from the very beginning.
Invalid serial number
There are 2 possible solutions for this error.
1. Confirm that the serial number was entered correctly.
2. Check the LED of your Aeotec Smart Home Hub. If the LED is green, the hub may have been claimed by someone else. The previous user must remove the hub from their location.
Where do I get my welcome code?
Aeotec Smart Home Hub does not use welcome codes for the claim process. Welcome codes are only used for pairing SmartThings 2015 or earlier hubs which the welcome code comes with the original package.
If you need a Welcome code for an older SmartThings hub, please contact SmartThings Support with the serial number of your hub to get your Welcome Code.
Back to Table of Contents
Next Page - Aeotec Smart Home Hub support