This article describes the setup of the Z-Stick 7 in Home Assistant using ZWaveJS to MQTT; it forms part of the larger Z-Stick 7 user guide. Setting up Home Assistant with Z-Stick 7 lets you build a Z-Wave automation network utilising Z-Wave 700 series and Gen7 technologies.
- Raspberry Pi 3 or later
- microSD card (at least 32GB and class 2; recommended 128GB SanDisk MAX Endurance for future proof or camera recordings)
If using Windows, follow the steps here to get a Virtual Machine running Home Assistant OS: Setup Home Assistant in Windows
If you're installing Z-Wave JS to MQTT on a fresh installation.
These steps assume that you have a fresh install of Home Assistant and have not yet installed Z-WaveJS UI. Make sure to delete ZWaveJS integration and follow the steps below.
If you have a fresh install, you may follow the steps below to fully install Z-Wave JS UI.
1. Gain access to the community repository first.
Click Add-on -> ADD-ON STORE (button at bottom right)
Click top right icon (vertical 3 dot icon)
Then click ADD
2. Install and use Z-WaveJS UI
- Click Setting -> Add-on
- Search for "ZWave"
- Click Z-Wave JS UI
Click Install, then wait about 2 to 3 minutes for the installation to complete
Click Start, takes about 24 seconds.
Wait 1 minute for HASS to boot up Z-Wave JS UI
Click "Open Web UI" Click Menu (hamburger icon) -> Settings
Click Serial port and select /dev/ttyUSB0
- Next to Network Key, click the refresh button to add a random security key for S0 Legacy, S2 Authenticated, S2 Unauthenticated, and S2 Access control.
image 1 - randomize key buttons.image 2 - randomized network keys generated.
Click Save Click 4 box icon (Control Panel), and see if the driver boots up properly. If it does, the controller will appear as the first device. Click Settings -> Devices & Services Click + Add Integrations
Click Z-Wave JS
Uncheck "Use the Z-Wave JS Supervisor add-on"
Set your devices to the areas they are installed in, then click Finish
Pairing your first Z-Wave device.
1. Open the Z-WaveJS UI interface\
2. Click on 3 line bubble at the bottom right -> Infinity Green Icon ("Manage Nodes") -> Inclusion + NEXT -> NEXT -> NEXT
3. Your Z-Stick 7 should now be in pair mode to pair Z-Wave devices. Refer to the Z-Wave devices instruction manual on its button press combination to pair it. (Typically its 1 tap to the z-wave device buttons, but different devices may have different combos of button presses to pair them).