Aeotec Outdoor Smart Plug has been crafted to power connected lighting using SmartStart, S2 framework, and Z-Wave Plus. It is powered by Aeotec’s S2 technology.
To see whether Outdoor Smart Plug is known to be compatible with your Z-Wave system or not, please reference our Z-Wave gateway comparison listing. The technical specifications of Outdoor Smart Plug can be viewed at that link.
Get to know your Outdoor Smart Plug.
Button Presses and LED reaction.
|Button Press||Function when released.||LED Reaction|
|Power On||1. (Unpaired from the network).|
2. (Paired into the network).
|1. Blue LED is fading in and out slowly.|
2. LED follows the state of load (controllable).
|QR Code Scan||Pairs into Z-Wave network.||Turns solid yellow during pairing, then solid blue LED for 2 seconds to indicate successful pair.|
1. (Unpaired from the network)
2. (Paired into the network).
|1. Turns solid yellow to indicate pair mode.|
2. Controls the state of the LED and output
|Press 2 times within 1 second. (Paired to a Z-Wave network)||Enters unpair/exclusion mode||LED turns purple.|
|Press and hold for 2 to 4 seconds.||Nothing.||Nothing.|
|Press and hold for 5 to 9 seconds.|
Test communication quality
|Indicator Light will become cyan light when press, and will quickly flash cyan when released, indicating the start to test communication quality between the product and Node 1. (Does not test through a repeating route, only direct controller communication test)|
At the end of the test, Indicator Light will display the color according to the communication quality.
Great = green light for 2s.
Good = yellow light for 2s.
Bad = red light for 2s.
|Press and hold for 10 to 15 seconds.|
Reset overload alarm and overcurrent Alarm
|Red LED is solid|
|Press and hold for 15 to 20 seconds.||Stay in Z-Wave network, but factory resets all settings back to default.||Red LED Flashes/Blinks.|
|Press and hold for 20 seconds and more.||Completely factory reset and remove from Z-Wave network.||Fades blue LED in and out slowly|
Important safety information.
Please read this and other device guides carefully. Failure to follow the recommendations set forth by Aeotec Limited may be dangerous or cause a violation of the law. The manufacturer, importer, distributor, and/or reseller will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from not following any instructions in this guide or in other materials.
Keep product away from open flames and extreme heat. Avoid direct sunlight or heat exposure.
Max-amperage: 15 amps for ZWA041-A Outdoor Smart Plug
Getting your Outdoor Smart Plug up and running is as simple as plugging it into a wall socket and adding it to your Z-Wave network. The following instructions will tell you how to add your Outdoor Smart Plug to your existing Z-Wave network.
Smart Start Pairing (QR Code Scanning) :
1. Scan the QR code on Outdoor Smart Plug using your Z-Wave gateway/controllers app.
2. Plugin your Outdoor Smart Plug to any outlet that you wish to install it on.
3. Your Outdoor Smart Plug will automatically pair to your Z-Wave network.
1. Set your Z-Wave Controller into its 'Add Device' mode.
Refer to the Controller's manual if you are unsure of how to perform this step.
2. Power your Outdoor Smart Plug to any outlet; its LED will slowly fade in and out slowly with a blue color to indicate it is ready to pair.
3. Tap the action button once. The LED will turn solid yellow when it enters pair mode.
4. If your Z-Wave Controller supports S2 encryption, enter the first 5 digits of DSK into your Controller's interface if it is requested. The DSK is printed on Outdoor Smart Plug.
a. If pairing succeeds, it will flash white/green 4 times.
b. If pairing fails, it will light a solid bright red light for 2 seconds and then return to a breathing blue light; repeat steps 1 to 4 if this happens.
Outdoor Smart Plug is now a part of your Z-Wave home control system. You can configure it and its automation via your Z-Wave system; please refer to your software's user guide for precise instructions.
If further support is needed, please contact our support team for assistance.
Setup guides for specific Z-Wave Hubs or Gateways.
- Smart Home Hub / SmartThings
- Aeotec AutoPilot
- Home Assistant / ZWaveJS
Removing your Outdoor Smart Plug from a Z-Wave network.
Your Outdoor Smart Plug can be removed from your Z-Wave network at any time. You’ll need to use your Z-Wave network’s main controller to do this.
Using your existing Z-Wave Controller:
1. Set your Z-Wave Controller into 'Remove Device' / 'Unpair Device' mode.
2. 2x tap the button on Outdoor Smart Plug.
Reset your Outdoor Smart Plug.
If the primary controller is missing or inoperable, you may need to reset the device to factory settings.
Make sure the product is powered. If not, plug it into a wall socket and power it on. To complete the reset process manually:
- Press and hold the Action Button for at least 20 seconds and then release.
- The LED indicator will fade its blue light in and out slowly, which indicates the reset operation is successful.
- This should send a signal to your hub that its been reset and the hub should automatically remove it from its network (some hubs may not support this).