Aeotec TriSensor 8 was developed to detect ambient values and movement and to transmit them with Z-Wave Plus. It is powered by Aeotec’s Gen8 technology. You can find out more about TriSensor 8 by following that link.
To see whether TriSensor 8 is known to be compatible with your Z-Wave system or not, please reference our Z-Wave gateway comparison listing. The technical specifications of TriSensor 8 can be viewed at that link.
Get to Know your TriSensor 8.
Your TriSensor comes packaged with a number of accessories that will help with its installation and operation.
2. Battery Cover
3. Double-Sided Tape
4. Screws (×2)
5. Back Arm Mount
6. Warranty Card
7. Quick start guide
|Action button press||LED Status||Function|
|When batteries are inserted (when factory reset)||Blinks between rainbow colors||LED indication to indicate it is factory reset and ready to be paired.|
|When batteries are inserted (when paired)||Blinks Green||LED indication to indicate it is paired to a Z-Wave network. |
|1x Tap (when factory reset)||Blinks Red ||LED indication to indicate it is factory reset and ready to be paired.|
|1x Tap (when paired)||Blinks Green||LED indication to indicate it is paired to a Z-Wave network. |
|3x Tap (when factory reset)||Flashes Red||Pair Mode|
Enters Z-Wave pair mode, flashes green 5x times upon success.
It will continue to flash red then stop LED flashing if the pairing process was a failure.
|3x Tap (when already paired)||Flashes Red||Sends NIF / Excludes device|
if the Z-Wave controller is in unpair mode, TriSensor will flash Red.
|Press and hold [1, 2 seconds)||No LED||N/A|
|Press and hold [3 seconds)||blinks Blue once||Quick Wakeup|
LED will disappear as soon as you release its button.
The TriSensor 8 will immediately send a wakeup report to your Z-Wave Controller to take in any queued z-wave commands waiting in your controller when the LED flashes blue.
|Press and hold [3, 11 seconds)||No LED||Release here to cancel Factory Reset.|
|Press and hold [12+ seconds)||Flashes red/green upon release.||Factory Reset Complete|
Important safety information.
Please read this and other device guides carefully. Failure to follow the recommendations set forth by Aeotec Limited may be dangerous or cause a violation of the law. The manufacturer, importer, distributor, and/or reseller will not be held responsible for any loss or damage resulting from not following any instructions in this guide or in other materials.
TriSensor 8 is intended for use in dry locations only. Do not use in damp, moist, and/or wet locations.
Do not use rechargeable CR123A batteries.
Keep product and batteries away from open flames and extreme heat. Avoid direct sun light or heat exposure. Always remove all batteries from products that are being stored and not used. Batteries may damage the appliance if they leak. Do not use rechargeable batteries. Ensure correct polarity when inserting the batteries. Improper battery use may damage the product.
Contains small parts; keep away from children.
Power up TriSensor 8.
TriSensor 8 can only be battery-powered, you must first power up your TriSensor before you can pair it and use it in your Z-Wave network.
1. Remove the battery cover by sliding the Unlock button LEFT, then pull the cover off.
2. Insert 1x CR123A lithium batteries orientated according to the diagram within your sensor.
Try inserting the batteries flat rather than at an angle.
WARNING: Not compatible with rechargeable CR123A batteries (3.6V).
3. You can close up the TriSensor 8 by placing the cover back on at an angle, but I would recommend doing this once you are done pairing the sensor to your Z-Wave network. So hold of on doing this so that you can reach the Action button on the TriSensor 8.
Connect TriSensor to a hub.
This section will go over brief steps to connecting TriSensor 8, for further details on connecting this product to your hub, click on the hub that you have to access more detailed steps.
- Aeotec AutoPilot:
- Open up AutoPilot UI
- Click on "DEVICES"
- Click on "+ Add new"
- Click on "+"
- Click on "+ Add"
- Now tap the Action Button 3x times in 1.5 seconds on your TriSensor 8 once.
- Aeotec Smart Home Hub / SmartThings:
- Open SmartThings app.
- Tap + (at the top right corner).
- Tap Add (next to Partner devices)
- Select "Aeotec" in the catalog
- Tap Add without QR Code -> "Motion Sensor" or "Multipurpose Sensor" (Either will work)
- Now tap the Action Button 3x times in 1.5 seconds on your TriSensor 8.
- Select "Secure Setup" when prompted
- Scan the QR code, or choose to enter the 5-digit DSK code.
- Home Assistant / Z-WaveJS:
- Open up Home Assistant
- Click on "Configuration" at the bottom left of the page.
- Click on "Integrations".
- Click on "Configure".
- Click on "ADD NODE".
- Click on "START INCLUSION"
- Tap the TriSensor 8 Action button 3x times within 1.5 seconds to pair it.
- Open up your Hubitat interface.
- Click on "Devices".
- Click on "Discover Devices".
- Click on "Z-Wave."
- Click on "Start Z-wave Inclusion."
- Tap the TriSensor 8 Action button 3x times within 1.5 seconds to pair it.
- SmartStart QR code scanning:
- If your Z-Wave gateway supports SmartStart, you can scan the QR code on the TriSensor 8 to automatically pair the sensor if your Z-Wave hub supports this.
- For most other hubs:
- Set your Z-Wave hub to connect new Z-Wave devices.
- Tap the TriSensor 8 action button 3x times within 1.5 seconds.
- If prompted, scan the QR code or enter the 5-digit DSK code.
There are some placement considerations when using the TriSensor 8 as a motion sensor. Above are some diagrams that show the distance at which the wall or ceiling installations can perform based on the height TriSensor 8 is installed, as well as the angle.
- Ceiling installation should have at least 3m height to the floor for the most optimal motion detection.
- Wall installation should have at least 2.5m height to the floor, angled downwards at 45 degrees.
The longer detection range of the motion sensor is in the direction of the side of the battery.
Installation positioning advice:
- Avoid installing TriSensor 8 in locations nearby environmental changes such as air conditioners, fans, or heaters. Instead, install the TriSensor 8 on the opposite side of the room against environmental changes as these will greatly impact the temperature sensor if you wish to get the most accurate temperature change for the overall room.
- Make sure to avoid installing TriSensor 8 nearby any metal, metal has a property that reflects wireless signals which can greatly impact the range of this sensor.
- Ensure that there are no objects or obstacles in front of the sensor lens which can impact the motion sensor tracking.
- Install TriSensor 8 pointed in the direction of the most foot traffic in the room.
Z-Wave Resetting TriSensor 8.
Your TriSensor 8 can be removed from your Z-Wave network at any time. You'll need to use your Z-Wave network's main controller to do this and the following instructions tell you how to do this. If you are using other products as your main Z-Wave controller, please refer to the part of their respective manuals that tells you how to remove devices from your network.
Using an existing gateway:
You may need to refer to your gateway's method of including devices if you do not know how to pair a Z-Wave device. You may use any gateway to perform an unpair/removal on TriSensor 8 even if they are not paired together to factory reset TriSensor 8.
1. Set your Z-Wave gateway into Z-Wave unpair (exclusion) mode.
2. Tap the action button 3x times within 1.5 seconds; the red LED will light up.
Manual Hard Resetting TriSensor 8.
This method is not fully advised unless your gateway has failed, if paired to your network, performing these steps will factory reset your TriSensor 8.
1. Make sure the device has been powered.
2. Press and hold the button for 12+ seconds, then release the action button.
3. If the reset was successful, the LED will flash red/green quickly to indicate it was factory reset.
Waking up TriSensor 8.
In order to configure TriSensor 8, you must wake up TriSensor 8 using the below button press function. This section will go over the manual wakeup of this sensor in case you don't want to wait for configuration.
Typically the TriSensor 8 will wake up automatically using the Wakeup command class, its default wakeup timeframe is once every 43200 seconds or once every 12 hours.
1. Press and hold TriSensor 8 Action button for 3 seconds.
2. Wait until the LED flashes a blue color.
3. Release TriSensor 8 Action Button.
Any queued commands in your Z-Wave Controller will be sent over.
Advanced settings of TriSensor 8.
There are further advanced parameter settings and group association settings not listed in this guide. You can find the attachment of the advanced engineering sheet of the TriSensor 8 which will give you all possible functions of the TriSensor 8 that may be missing in this guide.
The PDF guide will feature these missing advanced settings:
- Parameter settings (Configuration Command Class)
- Group Association (Association Command Class)
You may download the engineering sheet below: